For every act of evil, there is an act of beauty. You Can't Change the World, Only Your Attitude Towards It.

Mrs Tao on happiness

I asked my wife what she would say to people who may come to this blog. She said:

"People should realise just one thing that 'nothing lasts'. Everything you have is going to disappear, you buy something new and it is already starting to get old. Ok if you have it but don't worry if you don't."

She is quite direct in her words.

I mentioned a passage of the Tao Te Ching that "the sage is one who watches the world and keeps their true focus on what is real". She has never read the TTC so was not too taken by the quote, she said:

"People don't have to want this and that for themselves, they should want it for the world. I don't want a simple life for myself, to be happy and healthy with just enough, I want that for everyone."

She went on to talk about "e ba" big car and "e ba" louis vitton handbags, how people buy pressure and problems, not happiness. (e ba is an impolite Thai term).

I mentioned how the things we have are still perfectly useful and that someone with an iPhone was already in the position that newer models were coming out all the time. She said:

"They are not selling you anything useful or making you happy they just want your money. To be happy you just have to live like this" (refering to us as we walked) she looked around and laughed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tao Wow | Daily Cup of Tao

5 comments:

Ta-Wan said...

I forgot to add that my wife uses "nothing lasts" for everything from good times to bad times - it will all pass, don't hold on and don't worry.

BRAD FLETCHER said...

Nice Comment! I believe that Happiness depends upon ourselves.

Leaf Dharma said...

We just bought a house from 1948. What happens if you buy something old an renovate the kitchen does that help fight Impermanence?

Anonymous said...

Good post. I love that advice. I tend to repeat it with friends who like to talk about the new HD this or that gadget. It will all end up in a dump or in someone else's possession.

Ta-Wan said...

Thanks to all.

To Buddha Torrents, HeHe, In the buddhist terms the kitchen is decaying but in Taoist terms the kitchen is the useful empty space between the walls - so you're fine either way as far as I can tell ;)